Re: [asa] Pinnock on Climbing out of the Swamp (was Lamoureux, Concordism, and Inerrancy)

From: Douglas Hayworth <haythere.doug@gmail.com>
Date: Wed Mar 05 2008 - 14:00:37 EST

> On Tue, Mar 4, 2008 at 4:46 PM, Austerberry, Charles <
> > cfauster@creighton.edu> wrote:
> >
> > > Well said, George. I agree that we can't know for sure what Jesus
> > > thought about cosmology or origins, but I also agree that we still worship
> > > Jesus Christ as God and Lord even if during His human life His worldview was
> > > typical of Jewish peasants. Where to draw the line between His humanity and
> > > His divinity (when it comes to mind and knowledge) is, well, tricky if not
> > > sticky for me at least.
> > >

> > I've always viewed Jesus as being entirely human in his "default"
general knowledge. His divine insights, then, are the result of intimate
communication with the Father. In other words, Jesus knew only those
supernatural things that were revealed to him by the Father. Thus, Jesus
could know a particular individual's inner thoughts or he could know his
future mission because he was in close, prayerful communication with the
Father who would reveal those things to him as needed.

I have no idea how conventional or radical this notion is, but I it seems to
make the most sense to me. It also pictures Jesus a being a real example to
us (rather than as an "impossible" standard): we, too, can have supernatural
insight beyond our human faculties to the extent that we become one with the
Father in worship, prayer and devotion. I have to believe that God will
provide the spiritual insight that I need, just as he provided all that
Jesus the Son of Man needed for his life. (Granted, my needs are much less
than those of Jesus, but the principle is the same).

Doug