Re: [asa] Pinnock on Climbing out of the Swamp (was Lamoureux, Concordism, and Inerrancy)

From: David Opderbeck <dopderbeck@gmail.com>
Date: Tue Mar 04 2008 - 19:31:11 EST

While the issues surrounding the divine self-limitation involved in Jesus'
development as an incarnate human being are fascinating, it seems to me not
evident at all that Jesus' "worldview was typical of Jewish peasants." The
Gospels certainly don't portray Jesus as one with the mindset of a typical
Jewish peasant (assuming, for the sake of argument, that this is even a
valid sociological category) -- in fact, he baffled his closest disciples,
most of whom were regular folks, just as often as he ticked off the
religious and political elites. If nothing else, Jesus must have been
raised with family knowledge of the strange events surrounding his birth.
To the extent "typical" Jewish Palestinian peasants had expectations for the
Messiah, many of them expected a warrior king who would lead a
violent military revolt against Rome, and Jesus turned that idea on its
head.

Nor do the Gospels seem to suggest that "most all of [Jesus] knowledge was
human," at least not during the period of his public ministry, which is the
bulk of what the Gospels cover. It would be very hard to explain Jesus'
miracles, his public teaching, and strange events such as the
transfiguration if we have to think of Jesus' knowledge as mostly human. In
avoiding Docetism, it's too tempting to succumb to Arianism.

To me, it seems better to try to address Jesus' statements that might relate
to cosmology or origins at the level of hermeneutics without getting into
questions about the Trinity and divine knowledge. There are various
approaches we might take, including the fact that Jesus doesn't say very
much at all about these topics, and certainly not with any level of detail,
and even more certainly without any apparent intent to teach modern science.