Re: [asa] Pinnock on Climbing out of the Swamp (was Lamoureux, Concordism, and Inerrancy)

From: George Murphy <gmurphy@raex.com>
Date: Tue Mar 04 2008 - 15:29:21 EST

Given the idea of divine accomodation (& the adjective is crucial - it's God, not just the human writers, who accomodated), I don't think Paul's use of the Adam figure is as problematic as David suggests. The idea that Adam was an historical figure is part of the Jewish culture in which Paul & the early Christians functioned.

& I don't think the question of Jesus' views of cosmology & human origins is as sticky as Chuck suggests. If our theological argument for accomodation is that the inspirational action of the Spirit follows the kenotic pattern of the Incarnation then we should already be open to the possibility that Jesus held the views of human & cosmic origins that his Jewish contemporaries did. Note though that I say "possibility" - we simply don't have access to what Jesus actually knew about early human or cosmic history.

Shalom
George
http://web.raex.com/~gmurphy/