Re: [asa] Pinnock on Climbing out of the Swamp (was Lamoureux, Concordism, and Inerrancy)

From: David Opderbeck <dopderbeck@gmail.com>
Date: Tue Mar 04 2008 - 11:15:25 EST

Right, and here's where I brought up Pinnock and others like Pinnock who
represent what I'd call "moderate" or others might call "progressive"
evangelicals. I didn't intend to say that Pinnock contradicts Lamoureux's
entire thesis. What I wanted to say is that rhetorically, it seems to me
Lamoureux sets up a box: "evangelical=inerrancy=literal
hermeneutic=concordist." That box, I think, is too small. Certainly there
is a group of influential evangelicals who think that box is exactly right.
Maybe numerically that group commands the largest following within
evangelicalism right now -- assuming more than a handful of people in the
churches really understand these debates. But why cede the center to them?
I'd be very interested to see a social science survey of theology profs in
colleges and seminaries that self-identify as "evangelical' as to nuances on
"inerrancy" and hermeneutics. I don't think the results would be quite so
tight -- maybe not even totally coherent.

I think this matters because I don't want to see the notion of accommodation
set up as an "alternative" to an evangelical doctrine of scripture. In my
view, when we start to see accommodation as an "alternative" to inerrancy,
we start to get into dangerous territory. Instead, I think we need to
understand "accommodation" as part of what the categories of "truth" and
"error" mean in relation to the scripture God actually gave us. We don't
impose "inerrant" on the text as a logical construct from the outside (ala
Geisler) regardless of historical criticism; we rather affirm that God does
not err and build up what that means from the inside, taking into accound
sound historical criticism.

The question of Paul's use of Adam is of course a key flashpoint here.
Personally, I find it very difficult to dismiss Paul's references to Adam
as merely an accommodation to cultural modes of thought. "Adam" has nothing
to do with general cultural background assumptions about the cosmos (e.g.,
the raqia). Rather, Adam is presented as a key figure in redemption
history. I don't think Adam can be placed into the same background as the
solid firmament or the rising and setting sun. But of course we know it's
impossible to identify an "Adam" of biology or anthropology. So perhaps
there's accommodation in this instance in the sense that God doesn't reveal
in scripture, through Paul or otherwise, anything like the full biological /
anthropological picture of human origins, but the story is nevertheless
universal, true and "historical" (even if the details of its telling are in
some senses mythological).

In sort of critical realist terms, it raises questions about what it would
mean to be the "first man" at a theological level, and about how that
theological level might emerge from, yet be distinct from, the biological /
anthropological level. We might never have answers to that question, but
personally I'd prefer to frame things in those terms than to play
"accommodation" against "history" or "inerrancy."