Re: [asa] Lamoureux, Concordism, and Inerrancy

From: George Murphy <gmurphy@raex.com>
Date: Sat Mar 01 2008 - 08:05:31 EST

OK, but that still doesn't grasp the main point - that the Bible is the Word of God as a record of the witness to God's revelation centering on Christ and as the basis for the ongoing proclamation of Christ. We are to emphasize the truth of scripture for the sake of Christ, not Christ as one example of the truth of scripture. I'm not just picking on David here. E.g., the Evangelical Theological Society's statement "About the ETS" on its website says, "The ETS is devoted to the inerrancy and inspiration of the Scriptures and the gospel of Jesus Christ." This gets it precisely backwards. (The following "doctrinal statement" then starts with scripture & then the Trinity - with no mention of the incarnate Word.)

The point, I should emphasize, is not that there are 3 "Words of God," Christ, proclamation and scripture, but one Word in 3 forms.

This is by no means a trivial matter. The error of putting scripture first can lead to the notion (seldom if ever stated explicitly) that the statements that it makes about Christ are on a par with all the other inerrant propositions in scripture & thus non sequiturs like "If we can believe a fish swallowed Jonah - or that Adam was a 'real person' - then we can't believe in Jesus' resurrection." I.e., supposedly we're to believe in the resurrection & Jonah for the same reason, that they're found in an inerrant book.

Shalom
George
http://web.raex.com/~gmurphy/