Re: [asa] D'Souza vs. Hitchens - Surrending the debate

From: George Murphy <gmurphy@raex.com>
Date: Wed Oct 31 2007 - 19:28:08 EDT

This is not the way scripture speaks. The 1st Commandment is not about some abstract "God" to whom people they can ascribe any characteristics & actions they please but about YHWH, the God of Israel. This would be clearer if there were not the unfortunate practice of quoting it apart from introduction to the decalogue. "I am YHWH your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of slavery; you shall have no other gods before me." I.e., God is defined by what God does. & in the NT this God isfurther identified as the One revealed in the cross & resurrection of Jesus.

You seem to assume that "names" of God are more or less arbitrary labels which people give to the concept of God. Many are but the Bible speaks of YHWH as God's own self-designation, as in Exodus 3:13-15. & Matthew 28:19 in the same way can be regarded as the self-designation as "Father, Son and Holy Spirit" of the God revealed in Christ.

With all that I am not saying -
    (a) that we have to address God always by correct names, or
    (b) that knowledge of these names distinguishes good people from bad. The fundamental sin that we are all guilty of to some extent is idolatry, violation of the 1st commandment - the point again that Paul is making in Romans 1. Christians can have idolatrous Christian images - e.g., the KKK's flaming cross. But this does not make Hindus, Wiccans &c any less idolators. It seems to me that OTOH you are making the common mistake of using "idolatry" for only the crassest forms of that sin & defining the more serious away. The serious ones are what God spoke of to Ezekiel, "Son of man, these people have taken their idols into their hearts," & what Calvin meant when he said that the human imagination is a factory of idols.

Shalom
George
http://web.raex.com/~gmurphy/