Re: [asa] Natural theology

From: <mlucid@aol.com>
Date: Wed Oct 31 2007 - 18:02:26 EDT

 Jeez, Gary, I just read em and I still don't think that's what Romans 1:20 says at all.
1:20 says that God is evident in all things and that men can clearly see that evidence.  In fact
it says that the evidence of God in all things is what makes idolatry inexcusable, NOT that
seeking the evidence of God in all things is itself idolatry.

The next 20 verses are all about how stupid, sinful men and women ignore the source
of that beauty and recreate false images of God, and lie down with one another and all
manner of unsavory idiocy that has zero to do with seeking God in nature.

Surely my relationship to money is in some measure tainted with such idolatry,  But my
relationship to science is in no way thus unencumbered.  I, like so many of us, see the
immanence of God as the study of science and the study of science as a beautiful, eternal
devotion of men seeking the truth of which God is the ultimate bearer and Creation the
ultimate vessel.

When you say "the human response to that revelation (God in nature), apart from faith in
Christ, is idolatry, I strongly disagree.  Just because the practice of science does not require
faith in Christ does not automatically make it idolatry any more than practicing football outside
of faith in Christ is idolatry.

-Mike (Friend of ASA)