RE: [asa] repeat request

From: Dick Fischer <dickfischer@verizon.net>
Date: Wed Oct 31 2007 - 13:06:47 EDT

Are you looking for this quote and reference?

"Usually, even a non-Christian knows something about the earth, the
heavens, and the other elements of this world, about the motion and
orbit of the stars and even their size and relative positions, about the
predictable eclipses of the sun and moon, the cycles of the years and
seasons, about the kinds of animals, shrubs, stones, and so forth, and
this knowledge he holds to as being certain from reason and experience.
Now, it is a disgraceful and dangerous thing for an infidel to hear a
Christian, presumably giving the meaning of Holy Scripture, talking
nonsense on these topics; and we should take all means to prevent such
an embarrassing situation, in which people show up vast ignorance in a
Christian and laugh it to scorn. The shame is not so much that an
ignorant individual is derided, but that people outside the household of
the faith think our sacred writers held such opinions, and, to the great
loss of those for whose salvation we toil, the writers of our Scripture
are criticized and rejected as unlearned men.... Reckless and
incompetent expounders of Holy Scripture bring untold trouble and sorrow
on their wiser brethren when they are caught in one of their mischievous
false opinions and are taken to task by these who are not bound by the
authority of our sacred books. For then, to defend their utterly foolish
and obviously untrue statements, they will try to call upon Holy
Scripture for proof and even recite from memory many passages which they
think support their position, although they understand neither what they
say nor the things about which they make assertion." (pp. 42-43)

St. Augustine, The Literal Meaning of Genesis, translated and annotated
by John Hammond Taylor, S.J., 2 vols. (New York: Newman Press, 1982).

Dick Fischer

Dick Fischer, Genesis Proclaimed Association

 <http://www.genesisproclaimed.org/> www.genesisproclaimed.org