Re: [asa] repeat request

From: Janice Matchett <janmatch@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed Oct 31 2007 - 12:46:21 EDT

At 12:27 PM 10/31/2007, George Murphy wrote:
>I sent this "cry for help" yesterday but it doesn't seem to have gotten out.
>
>I could use some assistance rather quickly. I know that there's a
>passage in Augustine's Literal Interpretation of Genesis in which he
>says in essence that we should whenever possible interpret scripture
>in a way that is consistent with our natural knowledge of the
>world. Unfortunately I don't have this work of his available. Can
>anybody give me (a) a more precise reference & (b) if possible, the
>actual text or a website where I can find it?
>
>Shalom
>George
><http://web.raex.com/~gmurphy/>http://web.raex.com/~gmurphy/

@ If this isn't what you're talking about, maybe Pim can point you to it:

<quote>Usually, even a non-Christian knows something about the earth,
the heavens, and the other elements of this world, about the motion
and orbit of the stars and even their size and relative positions,
about the predictable eclipses of the sun and moon, the cycles of the
years and the seasons, about the kinds of animals, shrubs, stones,
and so forth, and this knowledge he hold to as being certain from
reason and experience. Now, it is a disgraceful and dangerous thing
for an infidel to hear a Christian, presumably giving the meaning of
Holy Scripture, talking nonsense on these topics; and we should take
all means to prevent such an embarrassing situation, in which people
show up vast ignorance in a Christian and laugh it to scorn. The
shame is not so much that an ignorant individual is derided, but that
people outside the household of faith think our sacred writers held
such opinions, and, to the great loss of those for whose salvation we
toil, the writers of our Scripture are criticized and rejected as
unlearned men. If they find a Christian mistaken in a field which
they themselves know well and hear him maintaining his foolish
opinions about our books, how are they going to believe those books
in matters concerning the resurrection of the dead, the hope of
eternal life, and the kingdom of heaven, when they think their pages
are full of falsehoods and on facts which they themselves have learnt
from experience and the light of reason? Reckless and incompetent
expounders of Holy Scripture bring untold trouble and sorrow on their
wiser brethren when they are caught in one of their mischievous false
opinions and are taken to task by those who are not bound by the
authority of our sacred books. For then, to defend their utterly
foolish and obviously untrue statements, they will try to call upon
Holy Scripture for proof and even recite from memory many passages
which they think support their position, although they understand
neither what they say nor the things about which they make assertion.
</quote> ~ Pim van Meurs - Mon, 27 Nov 2006 21:19:52 -0800 - [asa]
Fwd: Denyse reviews Collins
  ~ Pim van Meurs - Tue, 21 Nov 2006 21:26:43 -0800 - Re: [asa]
Falwell on Global Warming

~ Janice