Re: [asa] D'Souza vs. Hitchens - Surrending the debate epistemologically by subjecting revealed knowledge to science

From: George Murphy <gmurphy@raex.com>
Date: Wed Oct 31 2007 - 11:42:08 EDT

You don't know where I get this "idolatry twist"? How about reading the rest of Romans 1 - in particular, vv.22-23: "Claiming to be wise, they became fools; and they exchanged the glory of the immortal God for images reesembling a mortal human being or birds or four-footed animals or reptiles." Terry has already pointed this out.

It's a fundamental error in interpreting scripture (or any text for that matter) to focus on a few lines & ignore the context. You do that with other texts as well. The first half of Ps.19, "The heavens declare ..." has to be read together with the second half which speaks of YHWH's revelation in torah. Besides the explicit biblical context we also need to pay attention to the broader cultural setting of a text. "The fool has said in his heart, 'There is no God'" isn't talking about metaphysical atheism - which was virtually unknown in the ancient world - but, as the rest of the psalm shows, those whose attitudes and behaviors ignore God. This is especially clear with the similar phrase "all their thoughts are, 'There is no God'" in Ps.10:4b. That parallels the 1st half of the verse, "In the pride of their countence the wicked say, 'God will not seek it out.'" I.e., "There is no God" means "God's not going to do anything." (Besides, there's no statement in Ps.14 that the fool should know anything about God from nature.) You could also point to Acts 14:17 & 17:22-28, but Paul is speaking in those situations to believe who believe there is some God (or gods) and trying to turn them from their idolatry (cf. Romans 1) to the true God.

You are also ignoring the nuances which I've tried to observe in making my argument. I did not say flatly that no argument at all for God from nature can be made but that "one can speak of 'knowledge' of God from creation only in an extremely limited sense since the result of trying to develop such a knowledge from observation of the world alone is inevitable idolatry." I.e., one can plausibly conclude from observations of nature of the type available to people in the ancient world that there is some deity, but nothing more. & as soon as you try to go beyond that on the strength of observation & reason alone you're into the realm of idolatry. That is what an attempt to develop a "natural theology" independent of God's historical revelation tries to do, & that's why I have no hesitation about labelling Groothuis' "project of natural theology" idolatry.

& again, I am not suggesting that phenomena of the natural world should be ignored in apologetics or in debates with atheists. Such phenomena should be viewed in the light of Christ in order to bring out a significance deeper than what science alone can discern.

Shalom
George
http://web.raex.com/~gmurphy/