Re: [asa] D'Souza vs. Hitchens - Surrending the debate epistemologically by subjecting revealed knowledge to science

From: Jim Armstrong <jarmstro@qwest.net>
Date: Wed Oct 31 2007 - 11:30:51 EDT

Ditto! There is so much value in the two-book perspective (though one
may reasonably argue that it is really all a single book). God's
Creation seems to reflect so much of the character of its creator as I
have come to know it, the orderliness and constancy, its providence and
fruitfulness (including as I understand it, life as we experience it),
the extraordinary existence of awareness and creativity, and so on. But
perhaps the crowning attribute is Creation's marvelous (in every sense)
invitation to discovery. Promise-laden and life-enriching streams of
curiosity and revelation converge in a providential context of language
and conceptualization to not only invite us to explore and experience
the so-called natural world in new ways, but also to explore and find
paths to better and more personal encounter with the Author of Creation.

To those of us who are privileged to have worked in some discipline(s)
that embody these explorations, the progressive revelations encountered
are at once profoundly humbling and exciting. The messages of love and
restoration that dominates and suffuses the sacred writings are not only
undimmed by these adventures of discovery and privilege, they are
instead thereby adorned with new facets and indeed even new dimensions,
unseen by any other means.

For that reason, when a congregation sings about "an awsome God", most
don't know even half the story! And yet, there is that remarkable and
little understood quality of the aesthetic that allows even the most
technically illiterate to be overwhelmed by a view of star strewn night
sky, or the sweet smell of a baby. And there is often an accompanying
stirring of the heart as well that speaks anew of the Author of those
miracles. What providence. What love! And what travesty to suggest that
any of this has anything remotely to do with idolatry.

JimA [Friend of ASA]