[asa] Natural theology

From: Terry M. Gray <grayt@lamar.colostate.edu>
Date: Wed Oct 31 2007 - 11:08:46 EDT

John, Mike,

The idea of idolatry that George is talking about comes out in the
next few verses (21-25) of Romans 1. The sinful human heart takes the
revelation of God in nature and worships and serves created things.
This is, indeed, the whole context of Romans 1:20-3:20. God is truly
revealed in creation, but the human response to that revelation,
apart from faith in Christ, is idolatry. "There is no one righteous,
not even one." Thus, a "natural theology" apart from Christ and
scripture will reflect that sinful condition. To make Romans 1:20 a
proof-text for a revelation independent natural theology is to take
it out of context.

TG