Re: [asa] another physics question-information

From: D. F. Siemens, Jr. <dfsiemensjr@juno.com>
Date: Tue Oct 30 2007 - 19:36:26 EDT

There is another problem with the conservation of information, or perhaps
a different way to understand a point you make. If a genome is exactly
duplicated, whether in a second cell or second organism, there is no
increase in the amount of information. This holds also when, by
duplication within a cell, a trimer or tetramer results. But the latter
allows a mutation in one part of the genome that increases the amount of
information. There is more information even though the result has no
phenotypic effect. This holds even though there is no more information in
a thousand copies of a document than in one.
t'other Dave (ASA)