Re: [asa] another physics question-information

From: David Campbell <pleuronaia@gmail.com>
Date: Tue Oct 30 2007 - 12:12:10 EDT

The question on space and distance brings to mind a question I had
about conservation of information. As popularly used in
antievolutionary arguments, the principle of conservation of
information is a fiction invented for the purpose of denying
evolution. Mutations do happen, and every new mutation (or even every
new combination of genes occurring through recombination, sexual
reproduction, etc.) produces novel information. However, I saw
mention that the principle of conservation of information had led
Hawkings to reconsider his thoughts on black holes. What does that
assert and how is it compatible with the observation that new
information is generated all the time? (E.g., the information that I
just sent a note to the ASA list today is new information.)

--
Dr. David Campbell
425 Scientific Collections