Re: [asa] Space compression

From: <mlucid@aol.com>
Date: Mon Oct 29 2007 - 11:00:50 EDT

Parallax (triangulation) only works if you already know the size of the object you are looking at.? But we can establish these ranges of size in stages.? For local stars it is a relatively easy task based on examinations of close-proximity binary star systems (rotating about each other) that include a Sol class star for confident comparison of the relative sizes of the different classes of stars.? From there we can calibrate the Galaxy size and extrapolate galaxy cluster size etc for a rough estimate of regional sizes from parallax alone.

But we can also calibrate the Doppler effect (red shift) from local binary systems by comparing the rise and fall of the effect as the stars of known size rotate towards and away from us.? And since we are talking about a conceptual disagreement between YEC and physics of over a factor of a million, true precision is moot for the argument.? The size of the universe is almost impossible to confuse as being only 5,000 light years in? diameter. The age, however can be fairly easily manipulated as older or younger by varying the speed of ligth as Gordon points out. But there are additional problems in the Doppler record when you begin to try to vary light speed a million fold.?

-Mike (Friend of ASA)

On Sun, 28 Oct 2007, George Cooper wrote:?
?

> 2) Supernova 1987a in the nearby Magellanic dwarf galaxy has a visibile
> expanding shell. Simple trigonometry demonstrates that it is ~ 168,000 lyrs
> distance. Simple trig makes this measurement independent of the speed of
> light.?
?

This should mean light years based on the speed of light at the time of
the supernova. A YEC might claim that light used to be a lot slower than
it is now thus explaining why the angle subtended by the shell is so
small. However I think that this would create new problems for them. Isn't
this the opposite of what they might want to explain away the red shift?
This is a question for a physicist to answer.?
?

Gordon Brown (ASA member)?
?

"unsubscribe asa" (no quotes) as the body of the message.?