Re: [asa] Space compression

From: gordon brown <gbrown@Colorado.EDU>
Date: Sun Oct 28 2007 - 22:51:18 EDT

On Sun, 28 Oct 2007, George Cooper wrote:

> 2) Supernova 1987a in the nearby Magellanic dwarf galaxy has a visibile
> expanding shell. Simple trigonometry demonstrates that it is ~ 168,000 lyrs
> distance. Simple trig makes this measurement independent of the speed of
> light.

This should mean light years based on the speed of light at the time of
the supernova. A YEC might claim that light used to be a lot slower than
it is now thus explaining why the angle subtended by the shell is so
small. However I think that this would create new problems for them. Isn't
this the opposite of what they might want to explain away the red shift?
This is a question for a physicist to answer.

Gordon Brown (ASA member)