Re: [asa] D'Souza vs. Hitchens - Surrending the debate epistemologically by subjecting revealed knowledge to science

From: George Murphy <gmurphy@raex.com>
Date: Sun Oct 28 2007 - 16:14:54 EDT

John -

In a post of 23 October I pointed out some of the problems with the type of appeal to Rom.1:20 that you keep trying to make. In the real world in which all people are sinful, one can speak of "knowledge" of God from creation only in an extremely limited sense since the result of trying to develop such a knowledge from observation of the world alone is inevitable idolatry. That is Paul's whole point in that passage & it's a serious mistake to try to make it into an argument for natural revelation.

& in fact "the project of natural theology" to which Groothuis refers is simply the project of idolatry. An attempt to base the claim that "there is a God" on observations of nature may be just barely defensible, but any attempt to say who or what God (which is what a "theology" will do) will always produce some false god.

Again, it's a quite different matter to look at the natural world in the light of God's historical revelation which is centered on Christ & to try to develop a "natural theology" as part of explicitly Christian theology. But that doesn't seem to be what either Groothuis or you are talking about.

Shalom
George
http://web.raex.com/~gmurphy/