Re: [asa] D'Souza vs. Hitchens - Surrending the debate epistemologically by subjecting revealed knowledge to science

From: Janice Matchett <janmatch@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun Oct 28 2007 - 12:23:10 EDT

At 03:50 AM 10/28/2007, John Walley wrote:

>I am curious to get any comments from the list
>on his observations because he charges Dinesh
>with selling the farm ”epistemologically and
>apologetically” because he concedes faith
>beliefs are not valid knowledge and knowledge
>can only be what is empirically proven. ." John Walley

@ Maybe Doug Groothuis misunderstood
D'Souza. Based on what this book-reviewer below
wrote, it doesn't appear as if D'Souza is an
advocate of "blind faith". Excerpt:
.
  "..[D'Souza] also affirms the reliability of
Scripture, the historicity of Jesus, the
overwhelming proof of His resurrection and the
uniqueness of Christ and the Christian religion."

~ Janice

D'Souza debunks the atheists
1:00 a.m. Eastern

My goal here is to convince as many of you as
possible to read Dinesh D'Souza's compelling new
book,
<http://www.amazon.com/gp/redirect.html?ie=UTF8&location=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.com%2FWhats-So-Great-About-Christianity%2Fdp%2F1596985178%3Fie%3DUTF8%26s%3Dbooks%26qid%3D1193351764%26sr%3D8-1&tag=worldnetdaily-20&linkCode=ur2&camp=1789&creative=9325>"What's
So Great About Christianity."

Since I wrote my book chronicling the war against
Christianity in our culture, many atheists have
come out of the closet to admit their hostility
toward Christianity and formally declare war against it.

Anti-Christian books have cropped up like alien
pods in "Invasion of the Body Snatchers," not
only disputing Christianity but arguing that it
is a societally destructive force.

I have often lamented that too many Christians
have opted out of the culture wars, for varying
reasons. Some are apathetic; others mistakenly
believe that the biblical injunction to rejoice
in their persecution also means we should roll over and surrender.

Still others grossly underestimate the stakes
involved and the fierce determination of their opponents.

Dinesh D'Souza is not among the AWOL Christians.
And, unlike some other Christian apologists, he
meets the enemy on his own turf, confronting and
deconstructing his arguments rather than merely
reciting Scripture that might be intelligible only to "the choir."

He presents a comprehensive yet concise
apologetic of the Christian faith, facing head-on
and answering the nagging intellectual obstacles
to faith, not least the problem of human
suffering. He also affirms the reliability of
Scripture, the historicity of Jesus, the
overwhelming proof of His resurrection and the
uniqueness of Christ and the Christian religion.

But this book is more than the traditional,
theological apologetic. It also contains a robust
defense of Christianity's positive influence in
history and debunks the revisionist disinformation condemning the religion.

"Christianity is the very root and foundation of
Western civilization." Because of its premise
that man is created in God's image, Christianity
is foundational to our firm belief in man's
dignity and our higher notions of morality, even
many the secularists have plagiarized as their
own. D'Souza warns that we cannot remove the
Christian foundation without, ultimately, removing its values along with it.

Indeed, D'Souza shatters the fable that
Christianity is responsible for most of the
atrocities through the ages and documents that
atheist regimes have been responsible for
exponentially more deaths in the last few decades
than have Christian regimes throughout history.

He also exposes the illogic of atheism's claim to
moral superiority when it can't even offer a
rational explanation for man's moral component.
Nor can atheism explain man's consciousness.
Apart from God, there is no accounting for either conscience or consciousness.

D'Souza also conclusively refutes the
secularists' widely believed myths that
Christianity is the enemy of reason and science.
Christianity gave rise to modern science, and
most of the world's great scientists have been Christians.

Christians believe that God set man apart from
other beings, giving him "a spark of divine
reason" and the special power of apprehending His
creation. This eminently rational God created an
orderly universe whose mysteries could be
unveiled through application of man's reason, his
"faith in the possibility of science."

D'Souza explains why science didn't flourish in
other relatively sophisticated cultures, like
ancient and medieval China. "There was no
confidence that the code of nature's laws could
ever be unveiled and read because there was no
assurance that a divine being, even more rational
than ourselves, had ever formulated [a code of
nature's laws] capable of being read."

D'Souza's approach is admirable because he
doesn't allow himself to be on the defensive but
aggressively highlights the weaknesses in
atheistic thought and proves that professed
intellectual objections to Christianity are often
a cover for rebellion against Christian morality.

While atheists congratulate themselves for
employing reason to follow the evidence "wherever
it leads," D'Souza shows that their
presuppositions, including their "unwavering
commitment to naturalism and materialism,"
sometimes inhibit their objective inquiry.

It's one thing for scientists to define science
in such a way as to exclude the supernatural –
one of the secularists' rationales for opposing
the introduction of intelligent design theory into the classroom.

But it's altogether another for secular
scientists to use science as "a complete
framework for understanding man and the universe."

It is completely nonsensical and dogmatic to say
God is beyond the scope of scientific inquiry and
then proceed to use science to promote an atheistic worldview.

It is impossible to do this book justice in a
short review. But please trust me that it is an
indispensable ally for the Christian in defending
his faith – historically and doctrinally. But it
is also tailor-made for any open-minded skeptics
among us who might be surprised by the clarity,
intelligence, depth and inviting gentleness
D'Souza brings to these unsurpassably important
issues. I strongly encourage you to buy it – and read it from cover to cover.

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=58354