Re: [asa] D'Souza vs. Hitchens - Surrending the debate epistemologically by subjecting revealed knowledge to science

From: Janice Matchett <janmatch@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun Oct 28 2007 - 11:57:39 EDT

At 11:14 AM 10/28/2007, Randy Isaac wrote:

>This debate occurred last Monday and was aired
>on C-SPAN2 last night. I happened to see it
>while searching for the Red Sox game. I ended up
>seeing the debate and missing the start of the
>Red Sox game. Maybe I have to work on my
>priorities. You can see and hear the debate in
>its entirety at <http://www.tkc.edu/debate/>http://www.tkc.edu/debate/
>The section to which Groothius objects is at 1
>hr 26 minutes. A couple of minutes later,
>Hitchens repeats his bashing of Francis Collins
>but Dinesh doesn't bite on that one.
>
>My own reaction to this was quite different from
>Groothius but I may have misunderstood both of
>them. It seemed to me that D'Souza was drawing a
>distinction between empirical knowledge and
>faith-based knowledge. On this point, I am very
>concerned about Groothuis's position. He seems
>to feel that our knowledge/belief in God needs
>to be based on empirical knowledge. Isn't this
>going in the wrong direction? He may be
>concerned that D'Souza has sold the farm but I'm
>concerned that Groothius has handed the scepter
>to scientism, conceding that scientific
>knowledge is the only legitimate form of knowledge. ~ Randy

@ "...to say, for example, “God is Love,” is
not a mythological or speculative statement.
Rather, it is a scientific statement. No, it is
beyond that it is a metaphysical certitude upon
which the foundation of science rests....”

"..In the end, the separation of knowledge from
religion is the separation of facts and knowledge
from the metaphysics that explains them and gives them meaning. ..”

<http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/news/1917552/posts?page=11#11>11
posted on 10/28/2007 11:33:50 AM EDT by Matchett-PI
http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/news/1917552/posts?page=11#11
[refresh browser continuously to read latest comments]