Re: [asa] D'Souza vs. Hitchens - Surrending the debate epistemologically by subjecting revealed knowledge to science

From: Randy Isaac <randyisaac@comcast.net>
Date: Sun Oct 28 2007 - 11:14:44 EDT

This debate occurred last Monday and was aired on C-SPAN2 last night. I happened to see it while searching for the Red Sox game. I ended up seeing the debate and missing the start of the Red Sox game. Maybe I have to work on my priorities.
You can see and hear the debate in its entirety at http://www.tkc.edu/debate/
The section to which Groothius objects is at 1 hr 26 minutes. A couple of minutes later, Hitchens repeats his bashing of Francis Collins but Dinesh doesn't bite on that one.

My own reaction to this was quite different from Groothius but I may have misunderstood both of them. It seemed to me that D'Souza was drawing a distinction between empirical knowledge and faith-based knowledge. On this point, I am very concerned about Groothuis's position. He seems to feel that our knowledge/belief in God needs to be based on empirical knowledge. Isn't this going in the wrong direction? He may be concerned that D'Souza has sold the farm but I'm concerned that Groothius has handed the scepter to scientism, conceding that scientific knowledge is the only legitimate form of knowledge.

Randy