Re: [Bulk] RE: [asa] Design Inference Mixed with Faith WAS Stupid/Dumb Science and Intelligent/Intelligence Science

From: George Murphy <gmurphy@raex.com>
Date: Tue Oct 23 2007 - 15:42:20 EDT

Back in Ohio & semi-functioning so -

2 points need to be made about Romans 1:20 in this connection. 1st, as I noted earlier with Ps.19, Whatever else Paul is saying here, his statement about "the things he [God] has made" must refer to things that were known to himself & other people in the 1st century Mediterranean world. These did not include the bacterial flagellum - or even bacteria! - so it's simply an anachronism to point to this verse in support of attempts to use such biochemical structures & phenomena as evidence for God.

2d & more profoundly: Paul's concern in the whole passage Romans 1:18 - 3:20 is the universal problem of human sin, not some concept of general revelation. That problem is not atheism but idolatry - not failure to worship any deity but worship of "the creature rather than the creator." The evidence for God may be there but everybody misinterprets it & constructs idols (& the Intelligent Designer can be one of those idols.) "The things he has made" play a purely negative role here - to show that "they are without excuse" rather than a positive role of actually pointing people to the true God. & so when Paul has established that everyone is a sinner he does not then say, "OK, now that we've seen the problem, let's go back & interpret natural phenomena properly as divine revelation." Instead he immediately starts talking about what God has done in Christ (3:21 ff).

Luther is very clear about this. He will at times point to Rom.1:20 to show that all people have some idea that there is "a God," but insists that that is exactly the wrong place to start to do theology. "That person does not deserve to be called a theologian who looks upon the invisible things of God as though they were clearly perceptible in those things which have actually happened" (Heidelberg Thesis 19). That he has Rom.1:20 in mind is shown by comparing his Latin with the Vulgate of that biblical verse.

I don't think that anybody here is saying that we should "surrender the terms of the debate to science." The limits of science need to be pointed out, & we have to insist especially that science isn't the only means of knowing anything about reality. But it is how we know the physical world, & the fact that it can know that world thoroughly is not just a claim of science itself but a theological implication of the belief that God's characteristic MO is the kenosis shown in the Incarnation. & from a practical standpoint, making scientific claims about irreducible complexity &c that just aren't true of course tends to discredit the religious motives of the people who make those claims.

Shalom
George
http://web.raex.com/~gmurphy/