[asa] Gene transfer

From: David Campbell <pleuronaia@gmail.com>
Date: Tue Oct 23 2007 - 15:06:50 EDT

There have been a few posts to the list about the potential impacts of
lateral gene transfer on evolution and the problem it poses for
antievolutionary probability estimates.

Science currently has information about an upcoming paper (more
details available now if one pays more than Alabama does) documenting
attempts to transfer many thousands of genes from many species into E.
coli. Although the article sounds like an important contribution to
this field, one bit of the abstract sounded less than surprising.
Genes that produced toxicity to the E. coli did not transfer into E.
coli very well. Sounds a bit like determining that suicide is bad for
your health.

--
Dr. David Campbell
425 Scientific Collections