Re: [asa] Early evolution of light sensing

From: David Campbell <pleuronaia@gmail.com>
Date: Tue Oct 23 2007 - 15:00:19 EDT

The summary is probably a bit miselading at points. As best I can
tell, the novelty is the biochemical study on the genes. Many other
cnidarians have quite obvious eyes; they are extremely well-developed
in the box jellies (the ones that can kill you if you're careless
about swimming around northern Australia). Demonstration of homology
between the cnidarian and other animal genes would point to an origin
at least by early in the latest Precambrian, though I'd like to see
some data comparing their light-sensing genes with that of protists as
evidence that sponges are primitively rather than secondarily lacking.

--
Dr. David Campbell
425 Scientific Collections