RE: [Bulk] RE: [asa] Design Inference Mixed with Faith WAS Stupid/Dumb Science and Intelligent/Intelligence Science

From: John Walley <john_walley@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon Oct 22 2007 - 23:09:21 EDT

George, I appreciate this thoughtful dialogue and I am trying to more fully
understand your and all the positions presented here as well as my own. I
also don't mean to be antagonistic but it is just hard for me to surrender
what I consider to be just basic spiritual discernment to the much more
nuanced claims of science which appear to me to be missing the point. That
is what I am struggling with.

For instance, in your two enumerated foibles of ID below, I agree with your
second one but we seem to still be disconnecting on the first one. As was
pointed out in another response, the Romans 20 quote seems to me to be at
odds with this claim. In fact the scripture seems to make clear that Design
and a Designer not only can be inferred but is actually mandated from
observations of nature (primarily at a general level but this should still
hold at a scientific level as well) to the point that those that reject this
conclusion are without excuse, so clearly according to this scripture, this
is an absolute spiritual truth independent of any faith commitment.

So therefore, if we are to remain true to the teachings of this scripture, I
don't see how we have any choice but to recognize that both design in the
secular sense as well as Design and even the more ambiguous Intelligent
Design that you define below, are made manifest in Creation, regardless of
any faith commitment or lack thereof, and that this is binding truth on all
of us. That appears to be God's position on the matter anyway if we accept
the scripture to be a reliable and authoritative revelation. And He doesn't
imply that it is rational to deduce that aliens designed us or the universe
either.

And as a non-scientist, for me it is easy and logical to accept this premise
as a fundamental position of truth, and besides them overplaying their hand
and carrying it too far in the public square, it is not in my opinion, all
that much at odds with the ID of Behe and Dembski from what I can tell.
Therefore it is hard for me to abide the constant criticism of ID and these
over the top statements about what ID is and isn't, especially in light of
what appears to be God's thoughts on the matter, which seemingly should be
ours as well.

I understand that technically the arguments for Irreducible Complexity in
micro examples like bacterial flagella and blood clotting mechanisms can be
debunked and may even be flawed and that may not be an accurate example of
ID and it may not be good science, but that does not invalidate the larger
macro examples of ID that we see in Rom. 20. That is what I am struggling
with. I think the truth lies in here somewhere between these extremes but I
have not been able to pinpoint exactly where yet.

I do think it is a mistake though to surrender the terms of the debate to
"what is science" rather than "what is truth?" This is in my opinion the
same as trying to evangelize someone who doesn't accept the notion of sin or
the need for salvation. I think you would agree that that is pretty much a
lost cause until that debate is reframed and to me that is exactly the same
as letting the atheists put the onus on us to defend God against their
definitions of science. As we have seen that is impossible because when
cornered they will always play the aliens or multiple universes trump cards,
and that can never be defeated. Once we agree to reducing God or truth to
science, the best we can do is call it a draw and be content to be
intellectually fulfilled Christians like Pim says. I am happy to do that but
to me the injunctions of scripture seem to call for a more aggressive stance
than just that. For this reason as well I am sympathetic to the intentions
of the ID movement, however I agree that their tactics and strategies have
not been the right formula so far.

Thanks

John