Re: [asa] Design Inference Mixed with Faith WAS Stupid/Dumb Science and Intelligent/Intelligence Science

From: <mlucid@aol.com>
Date: Mon Oct 22 2007 - 16:04:50 EDT

Dave said:

> Job 28 emphasizes that the physical world is the wrong place to look
> for information about God.

What about Roman's 20? - "For since the creation of the world God's
invisible
qualities —his eternal power and divine nature— have been clearly seen,
being
understood from what has been made, so that men are without excuse."

> To some extent, this is also the error of Job's friends-trying to
make
> God's action correspond to a scientific formula: Job's trial=f(Job's
sin).

> Both the ID attempts to argue for design and the Dawkins et al
> attempts to argue that the physical world shows evidence against
> design are making untestable assumptions about the physical
> probabilities plus theological assumptions about the way a designer
> ought to act. Neither heed the reiterated conclusion of Job 28 (and
> Ecclesiastes, in different wording)-"wisdom is not there."

Wisdom is not there, indeed. Wisdom requires the willful elevation
of instinctive truths (faith, humility, values) above the purely
rational examination of the physical world. However, intelligence is
to be found "there" in the examination of the physical world.
And if we choose to use the term intelligence in characterizing ID
we need to recognize the distinction as critical. ID is, to me,
really what the study of science is. Wisdom design is what is
transcendent of science and more indicative of Gods infinite
intelligence, far beyond any human comprehension.

> Once we know God from Scriptures, we can recognize design in
> everything. Conversely, a valid example of ID would do nothing to
> tell us who the designer(s) were and thus would not even refute
> atheism-there's always aliens.

Yeah, but who evolved the aliens? (The G-man!)

> Of course, multiverses equally depend on unknown probabilities. Even
> an infinite sample has no guarentee of hitting a particular desired
> outcome-you must first establish that the outcome is within the
> sampled distribution.

(wild speculation mode: ON)

I have an intuition about the multi-verse. The infinite possible
universes are all inherent in the intent of God, but it is perception
(ours and other life) that distills by our collective cognition the one
reality that actually executes in our experience. I think we are
living in a
ruthlessly demanding, infinitely resolute, perceptive construct that
is an aspect of what might be crudely characterized as the will of God.

(wild speculation mode: OFF)

-Mike (Resident Whacko and Friend of ASA)

--
Dr. David Campbell
425 Scientific Collections