Re: [asa] Denver RATE Conference (Thousands...Not Billions)_Part 2

From: David Campbell <>
Date: Mon Oct 22 2007 - 15:05:36 EDT

> That reminds me of something else. By putting some scripture inspired
> but physically unrealistic values of parameters into his computer model,
> John Baumgardner accelerates continental drift. I presume that
> accelerated plate movement implies additional heating, but who worries
> about additional heating?

Baumgardner sort of does, since the extra heat gets magically
subtracted out of his model. Merely supplying and removing enough
water to make a global flood cooks Noah if the laws of thermodynamics
apply, without rapid tectonics adding to the problem.

Fitting a couple of cycles of the Atlantic opening and closing (as
evidenced in Phanerozoic rocks) into one year requires a plate speed
measured in km/h whereas current rates (with plenty of energy release)
are cm to dm/yr. Adding in plate motion from the Precambrian doesn't
help the young earth model.

Dr. David Campbell
425 Scientific Collections
University of Alabama