Re: [asa] BBC documentary on International Mathematics Olympiad

From: Michael Roberts <michael.andrea.r@ukonline.co.uk>
Date: Sun Oct 21 2007 - 16:32:26 EDT

I dread to think what I would get - do they give minus marks?

I identified with Iain's comments about the media, though this reflects the public at large and those who would call themselves educated.

I recently contacted the local press as they had published an article about John Mackay - calling him a geologist. I wanted a different side to things but all the reporter wanted to ask was how I could accept science and be a Christian. It was hard work.

The same happened in a local primary school - a Church of England school and some of the staff could not see how I could hold my views (left of centre ASA and centre CIS!) and science and the bible. This was despite going to an Anglican teachers training college and being a church member.

One has a long way to climb Mount Probable!

Michael