Re: [asa] Stupid/Dumb Science and Intelligent/Intelligence Science

From: <mlucid@aol.com>
Date: Sun Oct 21 2007 - 14:23:35 EDT

 I guess I should qualify the book a little better before I start excepting it out of context.  It is written to scientist and rational humanists from the scientific perspective.  As such I am limited to what I can convey rationally.  Such conveyance is intrinsically limited to what can be objectively symbolized, and thus insufficient to the acts of a transcendent God.  Such acts must be taken on faith like we take on faith that all the unknowns that face us in science will be some day understandable.  Such actions of God (Jesus) must be taken on faith, not because they are irrational, but because they are transcendent of our current rational paradigm and may remain so.  As such I would apply none of the limitations in this book to Jesus as Jesus was all about speaking to what is transcendent in life and Creation.

It is the sentence that follows the one you quote that has the qualification for what I find objectionable in the way ID is presented by most of its proponents.  The sentence you actually quote in no way refutes ID or the miracles of Jesus.  Indeed, I personally believe that it is absolutely true.  I feel that God created infinite time and infinite reality from an intelligent vantage that is transcendent of any human recognition and as such beyond our ability to use as a foil against the immanence of God in Creation, against the exquisite rational symmetry we see surrounding us at every juncture, against science.

And of course I admonish science to admit more carefully the clear Bayesian evidence that Creation is infinite, and thus so is information of it.   I suggest that the transcendence of God will forever dwarf our appreciation for the immanence of God and as such it is our instinct for God that is our guide into the ever more demanding, ever more paradoxical realms that loom in our future.  The easy stuff of science is over.  Quantum theory, uncertainty principal, Godel's incompleteness theorem, chaos theory, all point to a future in science that will require ever greater elements of faith and intuition along with the fundamental objectivity we have developed to date.

-Mike

>> I appreciate the second paragraph of your
excerpt. However “Proponents of intelligent design propose
that certain aspects of reality are far too rationally exquisite to have
happened randomly, the implication being that there has to be a Creator behind
it all.” from your first could equally
apply to Jesus turning water into wine, healing blind people and raising
Lazarus from the dead, and that is exactly the implication that God intended.

John