RE: [asa] Stupid/Dumb Science and Intelligent/Intelligence Science

From: John Walley <john_walley@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun Oct 21 2007 - 00:01:05 EDT

But Jesus' miracles were not intended to be about science either and
attempting to make it so misses the point then as now. Applying this same
standard to ID may accurately yield it as non-scientific, but at the expense
of the objective God is trying to communicate, assuming God is revealing
Himself in His Creation through these Design characteristics.

And now as then, most believers accept this assumption and see this a
logical inference. Who are we to say that is not good enough because it is
not "scientific"? This is as prejudiced as the YEC's who insist on a
creation without death before the fall.

Maybe this is the way God is intending to reveal Himself in nature? Maybe He
doesn't feel obligated to accommodate your conflated definitions of PN and
MN?

The following are the closing paragraphs of a chapter on "The Theology of an
Evolving Creation" in a new book due out next year by my friend Mark
Whorton, author of "Peril in Paradise", which I think captures this
ideological divide.

" But for those who wonder if God would have done it this way, consider this
in closing. Concurrence is consistent with a God who "hides Himself"
(Isaiah 45:15), One who says that it is only by faith that we know the
worlds were prepared by the word of God (Heb 11:3). To please Him we must
come to Him by faith (Hebrews 11:6), and for faith to be legitimate there
must be plausible alternatives. There must be mystery along with knowledge.

It seems consistent that He would create in a way that His nature is evident
to all, but nonetheless not so explicitly evident (as in unmistakable
intervention) that it cannot be rejected. Recall that Jesus taught in
parables, praising the Father that He hid the truth from the wise and the
learned and gave it only to a select few. It seems consistent that He might
create the world in concurrence with natural processes in a way that as we
come to understand how it happened, it would allow Davies to say "The
impression of design is overwhelming" (NOTE: Paul Davies, The Cosmic
Blueprint ) while allowing Dawkins to say that living things only "give the
appearance of having been designed" {Richard Dawkins, The Blind Watchmaker,
1996, p. 1}. Could it be that in order to legitimize faith's reward and
justify judgment of those who reject Him, God created in a way that would
permit the intellectual fulfillment of atheists? "

John