[asa] materials for home schooling--strong recommendation

From: Ted Davis <TDavis@messiah.edu>
Date: Thu Oct 18 2007 - 13:29:11 EDT

Loren and Deb Haarsma, two Calvin faculty (physics & astronomy,
respectively) have extensive experience speaking and teaching about science
and Christian faith to a variety of audiences and in a variety of venues.
Their hard work is now partly available on the web, but also now in a new
book from Faith Alive Christian Resources (Grand Rapids, 2007). The
attractive cover proclaims the title, "Origins: A Reformed Look at Creation,
Design, & Evolution." Here is further information:

http://www.calvin.edu/news/releases/2007-08/origins.htm

We have several times on the ASA list talked about the lack of helpful
materials that would be good for Christian schools and home schooling
families, on issues of science & faith. We now have, IMO, the best answer
for that problem--though I also continue to recommend the various
publications of Michael Poole, which are almost impossible easily to obtain
on this side of the pond.

In a word, this book is splendid. Get yourself a copy, get a few more to
give to families who want something more thoughtful than the usual YEC
stuff, and pat yourself on the back every time you give one away. It's that
good.

With much appreciation to Deb & Loren, for all of the hard work and for the
courage to be faithful to both science and Christian beliefs,

Ted