Re: [asa] Denver RATE Conference (Thousands...Not Billions)_Part 6 & The End

From: James Mahaffy <Mahaffy@dordt.edu>
Date: Thu Oct 18 2007 - 11:01:24 EDT

--
James Mahaffy (mahaffy@dordt.edu)          Phone: 712 722-6279
498 4th Ave NE
Biology Department                                     FAX :  712 722-1198
Dordt College, Sioux Center IA 51250-1697
<20071013144846.306E0710F48@gray.dordt.edu>, "Robert Schneider"
<schneider98@gmail.com> wrote:
> About Gary Parker. When he was on the AIG staff he gave a two-day "creation
> seminar" in Berea, KY, about ten years ago. I heard him speak at Berea
> College during an afternoon and evening presentation. What a colleague of
> mine learned about Parker is that he does not have a Ph.D. in biology but an
> Ed.D. in biology education. My colleague asked Parker about it in a Q & A,
> and he spent ten minutes justifying his biology background before admitting
> that he was an Ed.D. I think it is a stretch to call him a "scientist."
I know Gary from why back when he was teaching at a decent college, Dordt College.  Yes he was not and has not become a research scientist, but he did an effective job of teaching biology.  Dordt then had a large teaching mission and he did well. A EdD was and probably still is a good degree for teaching undergrads and I think he got it from Bowling green.
He is also a good amateur fossil collector.  Some of the fossils I still use at dordt were donated by Gary.
He was and perhaps still is a good science teacher.
He has as far as I know done little if any publishing since then.
In