Re: [asa] What is life?

From: <mlucid@aol.com>
Date: Wed Oct 17 2007 - 02:13:34 EDT

>> The first problem here involves instincts, which are commonly denied to
human beings.

The prevailing wisdom used to be that instinct is vestigial, primitive and fading from the human repertior.? But science is finding more and more that instinct is inherent in the human experience in ways we are just now beginning to discover.? Steven Pinker's, "The Blank Slate" refers to these myriad, common human responses and behaviors as "human nature" and points out exhaustively that we are far more instinctive than we think, literally.?

There are two basic types of identified neurological behaviors in the animal world.? The Instinctive response and the conditioned response.? The instinctive response is thought to be any behavior that is inherent or inherited, and not learned or conditioned.? Things like nesting, territorial behavior, mating, flocking, herding and feeding are widely thought to be instinctive in most animals.? But to think that humans are without these same instincts, after 300 million years of largely instinctive evolution and only 10 million or so years of cerebral evolution, is naive.? Plenty of women have a nesting instinct (compulsion) to get their house clean and bills paid anywhere from a week to several days before menstruation without regard to her rational assessment of her chances of becoming pregnant.? Daniel Kahneman points out that something so fundamental and pervasive as the perception of color is an instinctive response.? You can't learn what is red.? You learn the verbal and
 written symbols for the sensation of red, but you don't learn red.? Instinct is alive and well in humans in ways we have so long taken for granted that we don't see the forest for the trees.?
?
>> There may be a suckling instinct in the newborn, along with a
grasping instinct that apparently is soon lost. But preparation for the more
advanced abilities, like learning language, seem not to be instinctive but fit
in a different category.

It is interesting you mention language.? Noam Chomsky made a name for himself in proving that all humans have an common grammar across all languages.? The structure of language is inherent, like all our emotions, common across all cultures and societies (instinctive).? The specific symbols (words) of languages and the extra-verbal relationships between those symbols are different (conditioned, learned) one language to the next, but the structure is the same (instinctive).? We've always tried to imagine ourselves as dramatically different from the other animals, but we aren't.? All we are is animals with enormous capacity for conditioned responses (learning, reason).

>> The last two paragraphs would be more telling if there weren't so many
creatures that function very well without the human specializations. I recall a
professor who claimed that his horse had an esthetic sense because?it
paused whenever they came to a notable view. But I'm betting on a signal being
passed from the rider, as in the horse that could count. Come to think of it, I
didn't think much of his discernment in other matters, but that's another tale.
Only human beings worship.

Tell that to a my neighbor's dog (but not to my cat).

>> As to morals, it appears that human beings are the
only creatures that penalize unfair division even to their own loss. /Science/,
318:15, 107-109 (2007), reports that chimps will accept any deal, with no
attempt at fairness. But then I note that there are those humans who will take
everything they can from a sucker. I have not seen any evidence that either of
these behaviors?is unlearned.

Dave (ASA)

The specifics of how humans apply our notion of fairness from one circumstance to the next is all over the map (especially when the subject is involved in the process), but the notion of what is fair from an objective view is quite common across all cultures and societies.? Fairness is another aspect of human behavior that is inextricably involved with many instinctive responses.??
?
If a thing is common, across a wide spectrum of human circumstance that can't be specifically taught, it's instinctive.
Red is red.?? Anger, love, hate, all instinctive human responses.? You can learn when or at what to direct your anger, or to avoid it almost completely, but anger is in there from the get go.?

-Mike

?