RE: [asa] Moderate Theology

From: Dick Fischer <dickfischer@verizon.net>
Date: Mon Oct 15 2007 - 20:51:39 EDT

Hi Mike, you wrote:

>>In terms of where I draw the line in my interpretation of the Bible, I
say that the 7 day scenario of creation is no more or less significant
to me, spiritually speaking, than a 7 year depiction, or a 7 billion
year depiction. That there is an inscrutably exquisite Power behind all
things seen and unseen that made a place for me to be eternally
enlightened is all that I need to know from Genesis 1-11.<<

Ah, there is so much more Genesis has to offer. I find it fascinating.
Genesis 2-11 covers 3,000 years of condensed biblical history. It's the
first we learn about the "dark side," the first prophecy of the coming
of Christ, God's anger and punishment for idolatry and polytheism, the
dispersion of the sons of Noah into occupied lands, a man for all
seasons - Abraham the father of many nations, and his departure to claim
the lands assigned to the tribe of Shem yet usurped by the cursed
Canaanites. What's to not like?

>>I am a new member to ASA, but I am only a "Friend of ASA" member.
Even though I was baptized as a Methodist, raised and communicated as an
Episcopalian then born again as a fundamentalist Christian as a young
adult, I find that as I've aged I can no longer make the claim that
Jesus is the only Son of God (as required in the statement of faith for
ASA members). Son Of God, yes. But I don't know about "only."<<

I can't think of any other candidates. Even the staunchest of Muslims
wouldn't claim anything but prophet status for Mohammed. Jesus is the
only one I know about who rose from the dead. Maybe you can think of
somebody else who could also have been a son of God, I can't. In Job,
the angelic host is referred to as the "sons of God, but they aren't
human.

>>I see the will of God as immutable and inevitable, but not simple. If
there exist here in God's Creation inordinately similar intent, from one
religion to the next, it occurs to me that this circumstance is indeed
the perfect will of God. As such, I am saddled with the feeling that
maybe a man of faith is a man of faith no matter what syllables he uses
to name of the Object of his faith. So I can't call myself a member of
ASA, as much as I would like to.<<

You're not alone in questioning how a compassionate God deals with those
not in the Christian faith who die. I think we all wish there could be
some ray of hope for non-Christians. We look for loop holes, I know I
do. If you promise to not tell anybody I'll share my theoretical loop
hole with you. First, I think only those who claim Christ can lay claim
to the kingdom. We have the words of Christ telling us that. But I
think it may be possible for those who perish without an opportunity to
say yea or nay to get another shot at it. Accent here is on the word
"may." Christ did say we must be born again. And that could be more
literal than exegetes normally believe it to be. So I believe that all
those caught up in cults, false religions, or of no faith whatsoever
have good reason to expect the punishment proscribed by Scripture where
there will be "wailing and gnashing of teeth." And they have no reason
to expect leniency, thus we need to tell the gospel message to everyone.
If there is an escape clause that's for Him to know and not anything we
can count on.

Personally, I count my membership in ASA a blessing. I count ASAers
among my closest friends even though some I've never met. These guys
will help keep your head screwed on.

>>PS Dick, I hope you find more evidence for your Semite historical
scenario. I like the idea.

I do have the evidence. I think it's convincing. You'll have to wait
until Jan-Feb of next year. The web page is under construction now.

Dick Fischer

Dick Fischer, Genesis Proclaimed Association

www.genesisproclaimed.org <http://www.genesisproclaimed.org/>