Re: [asa] Denver RATE Conference (Thousands...Not Billions)_Part 6 & The End

From: Robert Schneider <schneider98@gmail.com>
Date: Sat Oct 13 2007 - 10:45:51 EDT

About Gary Parker. When he was on the AIG staff he gave a two-day "creation
seminar" in Berea, KY, about ten years ago. I heard him speak at Berea
College during an afternoon and evening presentation. What a colleague of
mine learned about Parker is that he does not have a Ph.D. in biology but an
Ed.D. in biology education. My colleague asked Parker about it in a Q & A,
and he spent ten minutes justifying his biology background before admitting
that he was an Ed.D. I think it is a stretch to call him a "scientist." In
his book _Creation Facts of Life_, his presentation on genetics is
ludicrous, but sounds very authoritative (the YEC rhetorical approach). Your
description of his presentation, Steve, fit the Parker I heard to a tee.
He's quite slick. In one Q & A a physics major challenged Gentry's work on
polonium halos, citing a few scientific papers. Parker dismissed the
critique with polite disdain. Parker is basically a preacher, as you said,
and he's good at it. Those of us academics in the audience knew it was
useless to challenge him and just made notes of things he said in order to
comment on them to any students who might ask. Interestingly only about
fifty students showed up for his afternoon presentations, and most of them
were "bobbing heads" as another students called them (i.e, the campus
student YECs, constantly nodding in agreement). The evening session
consisted of an audience of mostly people from local conservative churches
that jointly sponsored the seminar. He preached to them, starting with
Genesis.

Shortly thereafter Campus Ministry invited me to lead a discussion for the
dorm student chaplains on Parker's presentations. I asserted that what
Parker had to say about evolution was a caricature and not a true
representation. I mainly talked about their chief concern, does the Bible
teach science. Since I was a respected professor at Berea, I saw much
anxiety in the faces of the students as the discussion wore on. Berea is
only 100 miles away from AIG headquarters, and Ham & Co has sown seeds in
that field.

Bob Schneider

--
Robert J. Schneider