Re: Re: [asa] Breaching the dam

From: Jim Armstrong <jarmstro@qwest.net>
Date: Thu Oct 11 2007 - 17:56:25 EDT

Yeh, I know. The interactions with those who have their minds made up
may have some value in providing a vehicle for better understanding the
bases for the various positions, and for honing ones arguments or
sorting out ones own questions, or maybe even for generating media
interest. And it is so as well for the ASA discourse. And, there is
certainly value in constructively confronting those who are conducting
research with evident integrity and more open minds.

 But, if it comes to thinking about really changing minds and hearts of
a more lay community, the playing field is quite different and a
distinctly different perspective and set of tools is required. To the
extent that those can be exercised, they essentially comprise education
in a variety of forms. The model of science warring with faith is widely
propagated via well organized, articulate, emotional, and in some cases
downright pretty expression. The counterpoint to this posturing is not
as loud, ubiquitous, or organized. So it behooves us to do what we do in
this regard as effectively as we can.

So my ponderings have truthfully been about how to shift a little more
of that contentional and rational energy into substance and form that is
optimized for an audience whose minds may be more open, or may be
opened, the only real hope for a different future.

It seems to me (and it was the point of my post) that it may be
avoidably suboptimal for this purpose to unintentionally carrying over
certain artifacts, ...some of the substance and forms of the argument we
make with banner holders of the opposite view. The specific details of
the sciences and some of the tools of logic used routinely in the
disciplines are just not all that effective in improving understanding
or tolerance for many in the more lay (with respect to science)
community. That's why I've from time to time also mentioned
"plausibility argument" as a possibly more accessible way to convey
information and help folks better understand (if not accept)
perspectives that are different from their own. That essentially means
less rigorous but more persuasive interaction, recognizing the
distinctives in what might be most effective with this particular audience.

Blessings -

JimA