Re: [asa] rainbow covenant

From: Brent Foster <bdffoster@charter.net>
Date: Thu Oct 11 2007 - 11:16:14 EDT

I think that in Genesis God used things that people already knew about and were familiar with to be symbols of spiritual truths and realisms. Rainbows already existed but after the flood God decided to use it as a symbol of the covenant, and now when we see it, it reminds of of God's promise. Death already existed but after Adam's sin it became the symbol of our broken relationship with God, and spiritual death. Floods had already happened, but this flood symbolized God's judgement, and the promise is assurance that God's wrath will be withheld until the final judgement.

Brent

---- Merv <mrb22667@kansas.net> wrote:

=============

I just enjoyed watching the movie "Evan Almighty" last night with the
youth group. For anyone willing to understand the entertainment genre
for what it is (i.e. stop expecting only serious theology and serious
science), it makes for an enjoyable time complete with theatrics aimed
at Junior highers.

It did provoke at least one serious reflection for me though: If the
flood was a localized event (as most here seem solidly convinced of),
then what is the meaning of God's promise that such an event will never
happen again? Doesn't such a promise become nonsensical as applied to
floods in general? I'd love to see responses to this if any of you have
one.

--Merv