Re: [asa] rainbow covenant

From: George Murphy <gmurphy@raex.com>
Date: Thu Oct 11 2007 - 10:43:38 EDT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Merv" <mrb22667@kansas.net>
To: <asa@calvin.edu>
Sent: Thursday, October 11, 2007 8:15 AM
Subject: [asa] rainbow covenant

> I just enjoyed watching the movie "Evan Almighty" last night with the
> youth group. For anyone willing to understand the entertainment genre for
> what it is (i.e. stop expecting only serious theology and serious
> science), it makes for an enjoyable time complete with theatrics aimed at
> Junior highers.
>
> It did provoke at least one serious reflection for me though: If the
> flood was a localized event (as most here seem solidly convinced of), then
> what is the meaning of God's promise that such an event will never happen
> again? Doesn't such a promise become nonsensical as applied to floods in
> general? I'd love to see responses to this if any of you have one.

There are (at least) 2 ways of arguing that "Noah's flood" was local.

1) There is no evidence for a worldwide flood a few thousand years ago but
there were large but local floods, especially in Mesopotamia. These were
one of the sources for the biblical story of a non-historical global flood.

2) The biblical account can be read as a story of an historical local
flood - e.g., the statements that "all flesh" will be destroyed &c are
simply hyperbole.

Of course there can be combinations of elements of both views but these are
really distinct approaches. IMO the 1st is most likely. I.e., God's
statement that he will destroy "all flesh" means just that (in the context
on the story) & not "lots of flesh." But the story is not an historical
narrative, even though there are some historical roots to it.

& with this view, the rainbow covenent means what it says - God won't
destroy the whole world with a flood again.

Shalom
George
http://web.raex.com/~gmurphy/