Re: [asa] Denver RATE Conference (Thousands...Not Billions)_Part 6 & The End

From: Don Nield <d.nield@auckland.ac.nz>
Date: Thu Oct 11 2007 - 00:26:01 EDT

I would like to second Randy's motion of a vote of thanks to Steve for a
very useful and interesting report.
I would like to comment on what Randy inferred about Don DeYoung. I do
not think that he needed to gather courage to talk about accelerated
decay. In Auckland he had just 40 minutes to talk about all th RATE
research with no help from any of his colleagues so he had to be selective.
I would also like to again thank Randy for the preprint of his PSCF
article that I had available at Auckland, ready to respond to DeYoung. I
find it very interesting that the CRS board of directors had no response
to Randy's article. It looks as though they like giving public talks to
the YEC faithful but are not so keen to respond in public to critical
scientists. From what DeYoung told me in private, I too gathered that he
was quite candid that some sort of divine intervention needed to be
invoked to complete the RATE argument and that he was quite comfortable
with this.
Don

Randy Isaac wrote:

> ...."
>
> Recall that about a year ago, Don DeYoung was touring Australia/New Zealand to give the RATE results. In a post in August 2006, http://www.calvin.edu/archive/asa/200608/0016.html Don Nield reported that Don DeYoung did not even mention accelerated decay. He seems to have gathered courage to do so now.
>
> Most of all, note the reliance on "divine interpretation." This is perhaps the clearest statement yet from ICR/CRS that known scientific concepts are not consistent with the young-earth position. In my article, I focused on the deception of those who claim RATE concluded that science has shown the young-earth position to be credible while the actual technical report states clearly that there are unresolved problems that cannot be solved by any known scientific process. I did circulate my article to the Creation Research Society board of directors prior to publication, with no response. It is now interesting that DeYoung essentially admits that the young-earth advocate cannot close the loop with science but needs to fall back on "divine intervention." In so doing, he has been truthful in reporting the failure of RATE to settle the issue of the age of the earth scientifically. If the audience left the conference thinking that RATE had demonstrated the scientific feasibility !
 of a young earth, then that was merely what they wanted to hear--they were told factually that "divine intervention" must be invoked.