[asa] Militants (Was Re: This is a list of Christian scientists)

From: George Murphy <gmurphy@raex.com>
Date: Wed Oct 10 2007 - 11:07:48 EDT

A general comment & not on Wes Elsberry (whom I've only met briefly).
"Militant" seems like an appropriate word for Dawkins, Stenger &c when they
are in their anti-religion modes - if I recall correctly the old Soviet
government supported a "League of Militant Atheists." But the word is also
appropriate for Christians (pace those who want to ban "Onward Christian
Soldiers"), as in the traditional phrase "the church militant." & it makes
at least as much sense for Christians as atheists to be militantly against
ID & YEC. While atheists have legitimate concerns about the threat that
those movements pose to good science & science education, they also serve
the atheists' purpose of making religion, & Christianity in particular, look
stupid and dangerous. & it's for precisely the latter reasons that
Christians ought to oppose them (ID & YEC) strongly. OTOH the positive side
of those programs is, from a Christian standpoint, negligible.

Shalom
George
http://web.raex.com/~gmurphy/