Re: [asa] New Evidence for Two Human Origins

From: Iain Strachan <igd.strachan@gmail.com>
Date: Tue Oct 09 2007 - 16:02:38 EDT

Hi, Phil,

Concerning base-7 in the Numbers census figures. I do not see this. There
seem to be several instances of the numeral 7 & if it were genuinely base-7
arithmetic, it would only be 0-6. Also the first census has a 9
digit..(Simeon 59,300). So I don't understand this ( did you mean that the
second census contains 2-7 and no 1? even so, it doesn't seem to make what
I'd understand as a base-7 number system).

Concerning the base-10 system. A history of Maths professor I know has a
theory that 10 was selected as the base because of the belief in the
sacredness of the number 10, being a "Triangular number" (1+2+3+4), and
because of the "Tetratkys". He thinks this is more plausible than the
number of fingers.

It would appear that the ancient Babylonians (who were very strong on
algebra) did care about factors, and hence chose base 60. Even that system
was part-base 10 - the 59 cuneiform "digits" comprised different numbers of
two different wedge-like symbols, one of which counted as 10 (up to five of
these) and one of which counted as as a one.

Cheers,
Iain