Re: [asa] New Evidence for Two Human Origins

From: <philtill@aol.com>
Date: Mon Oct 08 2007 - 20:43:28 EDT

He thought that matched up with faithful transmission of a
misunderstood record.

I think it is quite feasible for a record from an ancient numbering system to be transmitted faithfully without being understood.? For example, the Mesopotamian systems used certain stylus imprints in clay, and each type of imprint had a name.? So the record of sheep in your flock might be 3 of one kind of mark and 2 of another kind.?

http://it.stlawu.edu/~dmelvill/mesomath/sumerian.html

Each kind of mark had a name.? ? It was very similar to the English system of fluid measurement.? This fluid "number system" includes teaspoons, tablespoons, ounces, cups, pints, quarts, and gallons.? We can record 5 ounces plus 3 pints plus 2 gallons.? A thousand years from now, somebody might have no idea what that means, and so they would have a hard time converting it to cubic meters or whatever system they have in the future.? They might even mistake that the?2, 3 and 5?represent digits in a regular base system, such as 235 units of volume.? This is what many scholars think happened with the Patriarch list.? Moses may have faithfully recorded how many of each unit from a cuneiform system?and then later it could have been mistranslated into a base-7, and then later again mistranslated into a base-10, or some other series of mistranslations.? Or who knows what path was taken???? But there need have been no error in the autograph, so this is not an issue that affects our un
 derstanding of inspiration.? As someone who holds to the theological hermeneutic that Scripture is inerrant, I find no problem in saying the numbers we have received may have been mistranslated.

Phil