Re: [asa] The Spiritual Brain

From: Janice Matchett <janmatch@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat Oct 06 2007 - 12:21:30 EDT

"A possible hint at how our thinking differs from that of animals
comes from the latest Science. In the ultimatum game (participant 1
proposes a division of stuff; participant 2 either agrees, in which
case each gets the share allotted by 1, or rejects, in which case
neither gets anything), people typically reject offers seen as too
unfair, even though it means that they will get nothing. E.g., most
people would rather get nothing than get 10% when the other person
gets 90%. Chimps, however, acted in maximal self-interest,
percieving getting anything as more important than punishing the
greed of the other chimp. Correspondingly, chimp 1 was generally a
poor sharer. A paper just out in PNAS found that identical twins
(humans) were much more likely than fraternal twins to have the same
threshold for agreeing versus rejecting (both tested as person 2
against an unknown 1). The authors argued that this indicates a
strong genetic influence on our perception of fairness." ~ David
Campbell 01:51 PM 10/5/2007 Re: [asa] The Spiritual Brain

@ From where did they recruit the people that were chosen to play
this "ultimatum game"?

Only highly ungrateful, covetous mentalities would cut their noses
off to spite their faces and want to "punish" those who they perceive
as having more than they do.

Unlike the ungrateful covetous individuals chosen to play the "game"
above, the innocent animal (the chimp) accepted what God provided to him.
http://biblebrowser.com/matthew/6-28.htm

It appears to me as if neither the scientists who did the study, nor
those who "fund" such studies, nor the people who played their game
-- know how to point OR understand pointing.

  "..It seems man's best friend has lost a part of its brain that
kept much of its wolf instincts. On the other hand.. it has gained
the ability to understand pointing. When we point at something, a
fellow human automatically transfers its attention to the object we
point to, rather than just staring at the hand. So does a dog with
just a little training. Wolves do not, and neither do chimps or any
other species known to man. ...the capacity to point and to
understand pointing is everything..." http://tinyurl.com/2bp26j

~ Janice