Re: [asa] Beauty rather than Design

From: Iain Strachan <igd.strachan@gmail.com>
Date: Wed Oct 03 2007 - 12:56:34 EDT

On 10/3/07, James Mahaffy <mahaffy@dordt.edu> wrote:

> Pim,
>
> Do you ever acknowledge that Dawkins is no friend of Christianity?
>
> This is a list of Christians who are scientists and Dawkins is no friend.

Clear evidence that Dawkins is no friend of Christianity, or indeed of any
religion, can be found in his answer to the 2007 "Edge" question "What are
you optimistic about?". Here's what Dawkins wrote:

*The Final Scientific Enlightenment*
I am optimistic that the physicists of our species will complete Einstein's
dream and discover the final theory of everything before superior creatures,
evolved on another world, make contact and tell us the answer. I am
optimistic that, although the theory of everything will bring fundamental
physics to a convincing closure, the enterprise of physics itself will
continue to flourish, just as biology went on growing after Darwin solved
its deep problem. I am optimistic that the two theories together will
furnish a totally satisfying naturalistic explanation for the existence of
the universe and everything that's in it including ourselves. And I am
optimistic that this final scientific enlightenment will deal an overdue
deathblow to religion and other juvenile superstitions.

I think that pretty much speaks for itself.
Iain