Re: [asa] Former YEC's on ASA and Henry Morris - WAS Denver RATE Conference

From: Michael Roberts <michael.andrea.r@ukonline.co.uk>
Date: Mon Oct 01 2007 - 17:39:43 EDT

Iain

I am convinced that this report is genuine and was probably not publicised due to threat of litigation.

Some YEC claims are from secondhand sources as you cite over dino blood. However I have come across very many which cite the proper literature and this is found in writers like Morris, Gish etc. I have at times checked out the references and usually find a misquote. Morris is appalling on this and I cannot see any alternative to deliberate distortion.

One classic example is a paper on radiometric agedating by Woodmorappe in the late 70s in CRSQ. He gave over 700 ages which were wrong. I found that many of them were from a Geolo soc of London publication The Phanerzoic Timescale 1964 of which I had a copy. I checked out about 100 of Woodie's anomalous dates and everyone was distortion. I don't think self delusion is an adequate explanation. I have also seen Woodie's exchanges with the evangelical geologists Steve Schimmerich which make my barbs seem most restrained.

As for people who hold YEC views they range from those like Ken Ham, Mackay, Morris (who must have changed his mind by now!!)Woodie, McIntosh etc , who must be seen as culpable to sharp Christians in churches, possibly with science degrees etc who have been sucked into YEC and loyal uneducated members of a YEC church. We cannot see them all as equally culpable. The challenge is how to deal with them as individuals and corporately.

Several years ago a fellow vicar in my diocese asked me to review a book he was writing on evolution. I agreed, but as the chapters came in I became increasingly appalled. In the end I wrote him a letter stating that he had got all his science wrong and that his work was riddled with misrepresentation. Further I would need to write another book to correct it all!! He published it all the same and when I pointed out all the misrepresentation he asked if I thought he was lying. I said he knew the answer to that, which he did not like. My archdeacon asked me of my opinion of his book and he was a trifle shocked! As he has no science I consider him self-deluded more than anything, but can have little respect for him. I also see him as part of the ultra-evangelicals who are causing so much damage in the Anglican church today, probably more than the liberal extreme.

Michael