Re: [asa] Beauty rather than Design

From: PvM <pvm.pandas@gmail.com>
Date: Mon Oct 01 2007 - 12:52:20 EDT

It is unfortunate that some, in their haste to attack Dawkins, fail to
appreciate is claims and arguments.In fact, Dawkins, as I have
documented, does have quite some reservation in calling this religion
since it can easily be confused with what people have come to
understand to be 'religion'.
It's one thing to quote mine, another thing to comprehend the usage of
these terms.

I am however amazed at the powers of Dawkins which seem to drive so
many people, even though what drives them is not necessarily what
Dawkins proposed :-)

We need not look further than

<quote>"Scientism" is one of those words, like "reductionism," which
is only ever uttered with a sneer. I am frequently accused of
scientism myself; sometimes explicitly accused of elevating science to
a religion—usually by the kind of person who thinks "elevate" is an
appropriate verb to use.

In this lecture I shall vigorously forswear any suggestion that
science is, or should be, a religion. But I'll recognize at least
enough commonality between them to feed a worthwhile debate. Science
is not a religion, but it does some of the things over which religion
once felt a certain droit de seigneur. Not morality, I must add. I
shall not talk about morality at all
today, mostly for lack of time.
</quote>