Re: [asa] Beauty rather than Design

From: David Campbell <>
Date: Mon Oct 01 2007 - 12:41:15 EDT

> Dawkins goes on to clarify his "In this sense, I too am religious."
> <quote>In the Einsteinian sense I am religious. But I prefer not to
> call myself religious because I think it is misleading. It is
> misleading because, for the vast majority of people, "religion"
> implies supernaturalism. For the same reason, I would have preferred
> it if physicists such as Einstein, Hawking, and others would refrain
> from using the word "God" in their special physicists' metaphorical
> sense. The metaphorical God of the physicists is light-years away from
> the interventionist, miracle-wreaking, thoughtreading, sin-punishing,
> prayer-answering God of the theists and of ordinary language.
> Deliberately to confuse the two is, in my opinion, an act of
> intellectual high treason.

On the other hand, dictators who hold at most such a view of God
aren't really atheists according to Dawkins. Such double standards
and outright falsehood (in claiming that atheists all behave
nicely-remember the leftist terrorists of the 60's and 70's?) are
among many aspects that destroy his credibility.

Dr. David Campbell
425 Scientific Collections
University of Alabama
To unsubscribe, send a message to with