Re: [asa] Beauty rather than Design

From: Ted Davis <tdavis@messiah.edu>
Date: Mon Oct 01 2007 - 12:19:03 EDT

Yes, Pim, Einstein believed in the God of Spinoza, as he often said. But
there's more to it than just this.

It might be "intellectual high treason" deliberately to confuse the
Christian God with the pantheistic "Deus sive Natura" of Spinoza and
Einstein, but Einstein's faith is still equivalent to August Compte's
"religion of science," which has been popular with scientists in the US and
Britain since the late 19th century. Dawkins has no hesitation to call his
doctrine of naturalism and hatred for traditional religion "the religion of
science," and that's exactly what it is. This is a religion, Pim, whether
or not you want to call it that, and it's a religion arising out of a
certain metaphysical view of science, shared by Dawkins, Sagan, Einstein,
and many others. In this Comptean view, science replaces traditional
religion as the ultimate arbiter of Truth, and we look to science to give us
a sense of wonder and awe about the creation--er, nature. We celebrate the
great scientists, not the great saints.

Ted