Re: [asa] Beauty rather than Design

From: PvM <pvm.pandas@gmail.com>
Date: Mon Oct 01 2007 - 11:59:11 EDT

Einstein found his 'religion' in the beauty and wonder of the world

<quote>
<quote Einstein>
To sense that behind anything that can be experienced there is a
something that our mind cannot grasp and whose beauty and sublimity
reaches us only indirectly and as a feeble reflection, this is
religiousness. In this sense I am religious.
</quote>
In this sense, I too am religious.
</quote>
As quoted in Dawkins in "Religion of Science" 2005

Dawkins goes on to clarify his "In this sense, I too am religious."

<quote>In the Einsteinian sense I am religious. But I prefer not to
call myself religious because I think it is misleading. It is
misleading because, for the vast majority of people, "religion"
implies supernaturalism. For the same reason, I would have preferred
it if physicists such as Einstein, Hawking, and others would refrain
from using the word "God" in their special physicists' metaphorical
sense. The metaphorical God of the physicists is light-years away from
the interventionist, miracle-wreaking, thoughtreading, sin-punishing,
prayer-answering God of the theists and of ordinary language.
Deliberately to confuse the two is, in my opinion, an act of
intellectual high treason.
</quote>