Re: atheist babies (was Re: [asa] Behe's Math... was Arrogance)

From: David Campbell <pleuronaia@gmail.com>
Date: Fri Aug 31 2007 - 13:15:43 EDT

> A few years ago a writer to the "letters to the editor" column
> of my local paper stated that "all babies are born 100% atheists."

It's funny in a way that said writer and Dawkins echo the Muslim
belief that all babies are born Muslim. (I don't know the prevalence
across different schools of Islam of this view). The premise that all
babies naturally think like me becomes hard to defend when made
explicit, however (unless it is obvious that I am thinking childishly,
which is not what's intended in such claims). Likewise, systems that
claim that evil society or parents or other bad influences cause the
deviation of babies or humanity or the proleteriat or whatever from
their inherently good origins tend to be at a loss to explain the
origin of these bad societal structures.

--
Dr. David Campbell
425 Scientific Collections