Re: [asa] Behe's Math... was Arrogance

From: Dave Wallace <wdwllace@sympatico.ca>
Date: Fri Aug 31 2007 - 08:43:17 EDT

Gregory Arago wrote:

> It really only takes a simple thought experiment to expel the notion of
> 'universalistic evolutionism' (who could defend this?) from the mind of
> any person who accepts the provisionality of science; all scientific
> theories, even the ‘theory’ of evolution, are someday to be eclipsed.
> What will TE’s do with their theology when the ‘concept’ they have
> anchored their theology to has been over-written?

Gregory

Exactly what in biological evolution are you expecting to be over-written?

I Development of life and humans took place over a long stretch of time,
currently thought to be about 4.5 * 10**9 years

II Change over time?

III The mechanisms believed responsible for item II above such as gene
duplication, mutation... and propagation of those modified genes from
individuals that survive to breding age?

As an interested observer one would expect that item III above would be
"overwritten" just as Newton's theories were over written by Einstein's.
   (Yes I know that Newton's theory still is a good approximation at low
relative velocities.) In fact it could be even more radical a change
such as that from a Geo to a Helio centric model.

As I have said before maybe God working thro quantum mechanism's did
intervene and cause certain improbable changes to occur, maybe he did it
directly, who knows and how could you say for certain?

Like George I find the Creationist museums an embarrassment. Maybe you
don't?

Dave W (CSCA)